Custom home prices in Scottsdale, Arizona, are always very competitive. Now that you are finally designing and building a luxury home to your exact specifications, the potential for consistently high utility bills in this harsh Arizona climate is a consideration worth a second look. As you begin to include each of your design preferences into the construction blueprints, such as built-in cabinetry and custom flooring choices, there might be a slight temptation to cut costs by eliminating certain features. But be very careful. Many of these features cost only pennies while simultaneously saving you thousands of dollars per year in excess utility costs.
Programmable Thermostats and Other Useful Tips
The word “programmable” often leads many consumers to mistakenly assume that these alternative thermostats cost a great deal more than the non-programmable variety. If you are building a luxury home with individual thermostats in several different rooms of the home, then you might be tempted to go with the conventional model instead. But programmable thermostats cost only a few cents more while allowing you to preset specific times of the day to turn on and off the heating and air conditioning.
Program the unit to start blasting cold, crisp air into pre-selected rooms of the home at approximately 30 minutes before you traditionally come home from work. As a result, you save a tremendous amount of money in excess power costs while still enjoying a cool and comfortable oasis immediately upon your arrival home, even in the middle of a sweltering Arizona summer. Here is a short list of other cost-effective strategies.
- Weather-stripping around all doors and windows saves utility costs in both summer and winter.
- Insulated outlets and light switches also reduce energy costs.
- The installation of low-flow shower heads provides the same powerful bursts as the older models while saving up to 3.5 gallons of water per minute.
- Water heaters need to have proper insulation, even in Arizona.
- Attics and crawl spaces also need adequate insulation. These areas of the home are the two most likely contributors to excessive utility bills. When comparing custom home prices, always be sure to look at the attic and crawl spaces for proper insulation.
Choose a Reputable Luxury Home Builder
Unfortunately, not all luxury home builders are the same. You need a professional contractor who has your best interests in mind, one who is unwilling to cut corners just to save a few bucks. When comparing custom home prices in the Valley, don’t forget about the little details that can save you enormous amounts of money in utility bills on a monthly basis.