While most of the country is digging out from under the snow each December, Phoenix metro homeowners are making the most of outdoor living. With winter temperatures regularly reaching into the 60s and 70s here, your patio is an ideal gathering place for holiday dinners and events. With this in mind, we’ve compiled five helpful tips to take your holiday party outside.
- Season Your Base: Think of your patio as an extension of the great room or living area, carrying any holiday theme or decor through to the outdoors. Add trendy globe-shaped string lights to your patio for a seasonal glow, alongside holiday greenery such as wreaths and garlands. Real or battery-operated candles lend additional warmth.
- Think Big: If your luxury home has a covered patio or loggia (room with at least one wall open to the outdoors), don’t be afraid to decorate it in grand style. Place a live tree in one corner, or set up a faux version outfitted with no-break, weather-friendly ornaments. If your loggia is equipped with a fireplace, hang stockings on the mantel or nearby wall.
- A Picture-Perfect Setting: Take a hiatus from the plasticware and paper plates you might normally use for an outdoor meal. Holiday dinners and cocktail parties are a special time to gather with loved ones, so your table settings should reflect that. Give each place setting a unique holiday look, whether you use your Christmas Wedgwood or simply place a metallic charger under everyday white porcelain plates and tie napkins with holly sprigs. Your guests will notice the extra effort.
- Table the Issue: Whether you’re cooking in your outdoor kitchen or having your holiday meal catered, extra table space can come in handy. Set extra tables with holiday linens and add decorative place cards with the names of dishes (and ingredient lists, if your guests have any allergies) for a buffet-style meal or hors d’oeuvres table. If you’re having a plated dinner, use extra tables for holiday gifts.
- Start the Conversation: If you’re serving dinner indoors, your patio is a great place for after-dinner cocktails and gift exchanges. Consider setting up a full bar on the patio, with holiday punch or themed cocktails like these HGTV suggestions. Arrange comfortable conversation seating areas nearby, decorated with holiday themed pillows and throws.
Patios have become more than just a place to sit and soak up the sun. In fact, a recent Harris Poll survey conducted by LightStream found that outdoor projects were the #1 home improvement that owners plan to make. Patios are being equipped with large gathering tables, functional kitchens and even large-screen TVs to entertain family and friends.
At Camelot, we understand that luxury living doesn’t end at the back door. That’s why our homes are built with outdoor spaces perfect for entertaining during the holidays, and throughout the year. Call Camelot at 480-367-4300 today or visit our website to learn more about our luxury home communities in the Phoenix metro area.